Raspberry & Cream Scones
Yields 18-20 Fruit Scones
What you Need
2 1/4 Self-Raising Flour
1 tbsp. Baking powder
1/4 c Castor sugar
1/4 tsp. Table salt
8 tbsp. Cold, unsalted butter
1 c Raspberries
1 tsp. Tangelo or orange zest
1 tsp. Tangelo or orange rind
1 c Heavy cream
How to Make it Happen
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add the butter into the flour mixture and massage into the dough using your fingertips until the mixture has a crumbly consistency.
4. Next, add the fresh raspberries and ensure to fold them gently into the flour and butter mixture until they are coated.
5. Add the tangelo or orange zest, rind and heavy cream. Ensure to stir the ingredients together just until they are combined with a wooden spoon or spatula.
6. Pour the scone mixture onto a well floured work surface and knead to form one single mass (just until the dough is combined). Roll the dough using a rolling pin to a half inch thickness and cut out scones using a round cookie cutter or the bottom of a glass. (By the second rolling the dough will become very wet due to the raspberries. I opt to cover the dough on both sides with wax paper in order to prevent the rolling pin from sticking to the dough).
7. Carefully place the scones onto prepared cookie sheet(s) and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the top is golden in colour and the raspberry juices begin to ooze out of the scones.
8. Allow the scones to cool on a baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.